Thursday, September 27, 2012

When BUCK ROGERS (1979) met Flash Gordon

Click for larger view
I've seen a lot of publicity stills taken when the great Buster Crabbe - the Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers of Forties Universal Studios movie serials - guest-starred with Gil Gerard on the second episode of Buck Rogers In The 25th Century, "Planet Of The Slave Girls," as retired space hero, Brigadier Gordon.

But I never saw this particularly amusing one, distributed to newspaper feature editors, before today. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I loved seeing Crabbe doing that guest shot on Buck! His Gordon character had a great (even if it was brief) exchange with Buck. Too bad the producers didn't see fit to have him come back, I'm sure he could have fit in in The Return of The Fighting 69th for example. Or I don't see why they couldn't have written a script that featured him as the spotlight guest star of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great picture you have found. The old with the new, of course in 1979. It's photos like these that remind me of what I like to think is a wonderful perk in the acting business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great picture. Thanks for sharing.

    I agree with Scott. That brief role was a highlight of the series and could have been an interesting recurring character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never knew that was the original Buck Rogers. I had to go back and watch this episode after seeing this. I didn't see him credited in the alka-seltzer endings but it is certainly listed in his career credits. I always like to see this kind of respect given to previous actors- even if it is only a bit part. And now that I know who he was- the comment about "Doing this before you were born" takes on additional meaning. double sense.

    ReplyDelete